May 17, 2010

Gel Medium Photo Transfer On Canvas




Hi everyone I wanted to share the project that I made for my mom and mother-in-law this year for Mother's Day. I had seen this technique a couple of times and decided to give it a try myself, and I have to say I am in love it with and will be making tons more. So what you need for this project is: a canvas your chose in size, a toner based photo copy of the picture you want to transfer (this is the really important part, it must be a toner based copy ink jet will not work. Any copy place can do it for you) some medium gel medium (there is soft gel medium but the medium one works better also you can get it in matte glossy and semi glossy, this is up to you on which one you want I went with matte) a foam brush and something like a gift card or credit card to smooth with.

Step one: cover the canvas with the gel medium, taking care to get everywhere because if there isn't any medium in a spot it will not transfer the ink there. Also be careful not to put to much gel medium on it either because this will cause ridges and bumps that you can't get out and it will transfer those also. Yep I know this form experience :)

Step two: center your photo copy onto the canvas and starting from the center out smooth the paper down making sure to get all air bubbles and ridges out.

Step three: let dry for at least 10 hours. This part is really important you need to let if fully dry so that the ink completely transfers.

Step four: using a spray bottle with water in it, wet down the paper and start to rub it off. Now this is going to take you some time to rub all the paper off and when you think you have gotten it all off you will find when it dries that there is more. Just have some patience with it because it is totally worth it.

Step five: if you would like you can add a coat of the gel medium on top of the canvas after you are done to seal it but it is not necessary.

I hope you all give it a try, these make wonderful gifts and I am going to be putting them all over my house now in lots of different sizes LOL.

Margo

2 comments:

CrochetDreamz said...

Great idea, wish you would show the final product too so that we would get an idea of how it turned out.

Anonymous said...

So I am wanting to do this but I am confused about the picture. It can't be on a regular picture paper right? so what paper do you have to have? do you get them printed from a store? please help! I want to make my own canvas's to display at my wedding. Thanks!