March 10, 2011

Happy Birthday

Yesterday was my Birthday and to make it even better it was also Fat Tuesday, being from Louisiana this is a big deal to me. So of course I had to make a king cake for my b-day cake, this was my first attempt at making one on my own and I was a bit nervous. I went to Allrecipe.com  and found this recipe so I though here goes. I didn't start taking pics till after the mixing, kneading and two hours of rising. So we begin with the rolling out of the dough......I was a bit worried because it was really sticky when I was kneading it but it rolled perfectly.
Then I mixed and added the filling it smelled so good at this point lol. It didn't look like it was going to be enough filling but it was perfect. Next I rolled it and then the slits. Then it was time to let it sit for 45 minutes to double in size, then baked for 30 minutes hmmm looking good. Now time to color the sugar for the topping, I had purple fingers for several hours :).
I couldn't wait till time to take a taste and man oh man let me tell you it was amazing. Just as if I had bought it in a bakery back home. Now everyone is asking when am I going to make a another one, I am thinking about doing it this weekend. 

I was thrilled with my presents also, they got me a Nook (hmmmm and I have that to read pile lol) I am loving it. I am looking around the net for some info on the ins and outs of it. If anyone has any favorite book sites or info sites please share. My roses are just stunning I can't get over how beautiful they are. Then there is my card lol, I don't do sweets much but I do love this one candy bar so they took two and made them  as my card. I so love this idea and I have to give hubby big props for coming up with it. 

I have put a couple of books on the Nook so far and I can't wait to add more. I am also loving the fact that you can put music on it to since I usually listen to it when reading.  I want to thank everyone for the Birthday wishes. 


Margo

2 comments:

Michelle @ Delicate Construction said...

Looks yummy!! I will have to make this sometime! I am visiting from Tatertots and Jello and I am a new follower!
Have a great weekend!
Michelle
www.delicateconstruction.blogspot.com

Lolis said...

Lucky, my birthday was on Ash Wednesday! So, I was unable to eat cake! Your king cake looks wonderful! Hope you had a great birthday! BTW Momo sent me. your new follower.