March 14, 2011

Time Out Chairs

I have two awesome little boys who are both 20 months old that I take care of everyday. It has become clear that the dreaded terrible twos is starting to creep in. So after some chatting with the mom's on how I would like to start time out, I came up with making a time out chair. Thanks to my BFF who has several old Sunday school chairs in her garage (LOL check out that dust)  I was well on my way. One of my mom's right away asked if I would make one for her house also so that she would have the same thing to use there.  My first step was to clean the chair with soap and water and then put painters tape on all the metal parts. Next was to spray paint the base and back of the chair. My plan is to have the chair in my entry way so I wanted to use a color close to my wall color (shown in the first pic) so that it doesn't stand out to much. These chairs are pretty old so I was worried about how much paint the wood was going to soak up but it only too one can to do both the chairs.

After letting the chairs dry for 24 hours I then taped off the wood parts and spray painted the metal black. I had pictures of this but somehow they didn't come out on the camera :(    Now it's time for the fun part, I pulled out some foam stamps that I'm not sure I have ever used yet and used them to put the time out on the back and then numbers on the base. I did have to so some touch ups with a paint brush to make sure everything was even.  I used the tips of the paint brush to make the paint dots, then it was time to add the fun robots that I cut out of material I have for another project. 
 

I just figured out where I wanted them to be and used the trusty Mod Pod to adhere them to the chair. There will be a noticeable area where the MP is so what I did was after it had dried so that the material wouldn't move. I covered the whole area with MP so that everything looked the same. Lastly I sprayed them with a clear enamel gloss to seal them. I just love the way they came out cute but not over the top. You guessed it once the other mom saw it she had to have one for her house too so I will be making one more this weekend. 


Margo

2 comments:

Angie Holden said...

Love your time out chairs!! Thanks for auditioning for OMTWI!

Unknown said...

What a cute idea, getting in trouble looks fun now!!

Drop by The Tattered Tag